Cotton Tree Names and Types of Bombax Species
|Picture of a Bombax Tree|
Silk Cotton Tree (Bombax buonopozense).
Picture by Daniel J. Layton, Picture use (cc2)
Species of trees in the Bombax genus are mainly tropical trees that are native to western Africa, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, as well as sub-tropical regions of East Asia and northern Australia.
Facts about the Bombax Genus of Trees
- Genus Latin Scientific Name = Bombax.
- Genus Latin Name Pronunciation: BOM-baks
- Genus Latin Name Meaning: From the Greek bombyx (silk), referring to the silken fibers from this tree.
- Genus Common Names = Silk Cotton Tree, Simal, Red Cotton Tree, Kapok and Bombax.
In the Chinese language they are known as Mumian (Chinese: 木棉; pinyin: mùmián), meaning "tree cotton".
- Number of Taxa in the Bombax Genus = 7
List of Cotton Trees, Bombax Genus - All known species, taxa types, organized by scientific Latin botanical name first and common names second
|Botanical Tree Name||Common Tree Name|
|Bombax albidum||¡ ?|
|Bombax anceps||¡ ?|
|Bombax blancoanum||¡ ?|
|Bombax buonopozense||Red-flowered Silk Cotton Tree, Gold Coast Bombax, Vabga|
|Bombax ceiba||Cotton tree, Cottontree or Tree cotton. |
In India; (Semal) Hindi:सेमल
In Tamil (Mullilavu) முள்ளிலவு
In Chinese (Mumian) Chinese: 木棉; pinyin: mùmián
|Bombax costatum||¡ ?|
|Bombax insigne||¡ ?|