Tree Names and Species of the Metasequoia Genus
|Picture of a Dawn redwood Tree|
Picture of a Dawn redwood tree
The Metasequoia (Dawn redwood) Genus currently only contains one extant species, Metasequoia glyptostroboides, also known as the Dawn Redwood Tree. The other four species of Metasequoia are extinct. These species are all fast growing, deciduous conifers trees.
The Metasequoia glyptostroboides Species is one of three tree species known as Redwood, the other two are; the Coast redwood, California redwood (Sequoia sempervirens), and the Giant Redwood, Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum). All True Redwood Trees belong to the subfamily Sequoioideae.
Facts about Redwood Trees of the Metasequoia Genus
- Genus Latin Scientific Name = Metasequoia.
- Genus Latin Name Pronunciation: "met-uh-see-KWOY-uh"
- Genus Latin Name Meaning: From the Greek meta (akin to) and Sequoia (Named from the Latin word "sequi" for sequence / following.)
- Genus Common Names = Dawn redwood. List of other Metasequoia Vernacular Names
- Number of Taxa (types) in the Metasequoia Genus = 5 Species, 1 extant and 4 extinct.
List of Redwood Trees, Metasequoia Genus - All known species, taxa types, organized by scientific Latin botanical name first and common names second
† = Extinct Species
Français: Séquoïa de Chine
Ceština: Metasekvoje cínská