Orange Tree Names, Pictures and Types of Citrus Orange Trees
|Picture of a |
Sweet Orange Tree
Picture of a Sweet Orange tree
(Citrus × sinensis)
There are many species and hybrids of Citrus trees that are commonly named as Orange trees, due to their fruit being described as an Orange.
This page will list all Citrus Species and Citrus Hybrids that are associated with the common name of Orange, and list the Scientific Botanical and common name of each. Many Citrus taxa have more obvious differences in the trees ripened fruit, rather than the tree itself, thus many common names reflect the characteristics of the Citrus trees fruit.
The common name Orange tree can apply to any of the Citrus taxa listed below, however this name in English speaking lands most often refers to the Citrus hybrid Citrus × sinensis (Citrus reticulata × Citrus maxima) or otherwise more accurately known as the Sweet Orange Tree.
List Types of Orange Trees, Citrus Genus - All species, organized by scientific Latin botanical or by common names
|Botanical Tree Name||Common Tree Name|
|Citrus hassaku||Hassaku orange, (Japanese: 八朔, also called "jagada")|
|Citrus indica||Indian wild orange|
|Citrus nobilis||Temple orange, Tangor, Satsuma tangor|
|Citrus reticulata||Mandarin orange, Mandarine. Tangerine.|
|Citrus sinensis |
- or - Citrus × sinensis (Citrus reticulata × Citrus maxima)
|Sweet Orange, Orange Tree, Navel orange, Blood orange, Valencia orange|
|Citrus tachibana||Tachibana orange|
|Citrus tamurana||New Summer Orange. Hyuganatsu, Japanese: (日向夏).|
|Citrus trifoliata (syn. Poncirus trifoliata)||Trifoliate orange, Chinese bitter orange, Japanese bitter-orange, Hardy orange, Karatachi|
|Citrus unshiu. See Citrus reticulata||Satsuma orange, Unshu mikan, cold hardy mandarin, satsuma mandarin, Tangerine.|
|Citrus × aurantium||Bitter orange, Sour orange, Seville orange, Bigarade orange, Marmalade orange, Indian lemon|
|Citrus × clementina||Clementine, Thanksgiving Orange, Christmas orange|
|Citrus × poonensis||Chinese Honey Orange, Ponkan|
Orange Tree List last up-dated on
Non Citrus species commonly named as an Orange Tree;
- Japanese bitter orange (Aegle marmelos) is un-related to the Citrus genus, though the fruit looks similar on the outside (hence its common name), is not a Citrus fruit. It has a hard woody shell.
- Monkey orange or Natal orange (Strychnos spinosa)
- Osage orange (Maclura pomifera) also commonly known in North America as; Mock orange, horse apple, hedge apple, bow-wood, yellow-wood, bois d'arc.
- Wild orange or native orange (Capparis mitchellii) is so commonly named in Australia. In the Arrernte language of Central Australia it is named "merne atwakeye". This species is a member of the Capparis genus commonly known as the "Caperbushes" or the "Caper shrubs".